September 19, 2022
The meeting was presided over by Past President Nancy Dean. The flag salute was led by Gregg Gardiner. Carly Robbins provided the thought of the day and reminded us to enjoy the little things in life.
Guests included Pat Folkins wife, Sheila; Scott Pesch
- Southwest Rotary Club of Eureka will be holding a fundraiser, “Best of the Wurst” on Thursday October 26th at the Elk’s Lodge.
- Food for People’s fundraiser with the Times-Standard is still going on. You can sponsor a square to help support Backpacks for Kids. During the month of September club member Craig Hansen has generously offered to match all donations.
- Foundation Dinner is coming up Saturday, October 15th. There’s a Mardi Gras theme. Kim talked about the Foundation Raffle. Talk to Kim or Pat Folkins to buy tickets or for more information.
- Walk to End Alzheimers – 1 mile walk coming up on Saturday October 8th.
- The Blood Bank will plant a tree for every new blood donation in October.
Brad Mettam – will be retiring November 30th!
RAFFLE WINNERS: Silver Dollar- Annalise von Borstel, McDonald’s Gift Certificate- Chuck Ellsworth, $10 cash- Nancy Dean, The Chalet Gift Certificate- Alissa Wood. Draw the joker to win a gold coin value $444- Ken Stodder drew but sadly was not a winner this week.
SPEAKER: Linda Wise General Manager of Recology & Eel River Disposal in Eureka and Arcata was our speaker. Linda said they have 124 employees and provide trash pickup, recycling, transfer stations and more. SB 1383 was a law passed by the voters that requires organic waste diversion and sets parameters for edible food recovery. Organic waste in landfills emit 20% of California’s methane. A climate pollutant 84X more potent than carbon dioxide. Implementation starts January 1, 2023. Everyone (residents and businesses) will have a green container that will be used for green waste and food waste. You will have a bucket that all food waste will go into and be dumped into the green waste bin. Costs will increase some. Businesses that produce small amounts of food waste and have very few employees can fill out a waiver. Visit gozeroeureka.org/sb1383 for more details.