September 12, 2022
The meeting was presided over by Past President Nancy Dean. The flag salute was led by Mari. Carlton Nielsen provided the thought of the day and encouraged us all to share with others about Rotary.
Guests included Erin Dunn, Ross Rowley, Amanda Moxon (President of Old Town Rotary), Greg Foster with Arcata Sunrise Rotary and Frank Nelson from Recology,Mari past Rotaractor and soon to be Eureka Rotarian.
- Past President Nancy Dean presented Past President Carly Robbins with a plaque commemorating her year as president.
- Food for People’s fundraiser with the Times-Standard is still going on. You can sponsor a square to help support Backpacks for Kids. During the month of September club member Craig Hansen has generously offered to match all donations.
- Foundation Dinner is coming up Saturday, October 15th. There’s a Mardi Gras theme. More info to come.
- Humboldt’s 16 exchange students met at the Boy Scout Camp for a weekend with no internet and got to know each other. Naomi- our outbound student to Denmark is having a great time. Check out her blog.
- Hilla our exchange student from Denmark was at the meeting today and stood up and said a few words. She received some welcome gifts from the club including a basket of goodies and a City of Eureka banner. Mayor Susan Seaman was on hand to help present the gifts.
- Walk to End Alzheimers – Ross Rowley and Amanda Moxon introduced this program. They are working on forming a Redwood Region Team. Teams exist in over 600 cities. There’s a 1 mile walk coming up on Saturday October 8th. Information on how to join is on your table.
- The Blood Bank will plant a tree for every new blood donation in October.
- Polio Plus – Pakistan had two more cases this year. Please consider donating $100 to Polio plus. Check it out on rotary.org.
- Alissa, Annalise, Jera and Carly were recognized for their recent outing to the Tavern – a new restaurant they recommended to everyone.
- Scott with Nordic Aquafarms was recognized for moving to his new office in Samoa
- Fred Van Vleck recently attended the annual Visible Learning Conference.
RAFFLE WINNERS: Silver Dollar- Hilla, McDonald’s Gift Certificate- Hilla, $10 cash- Erin Dunn, The Chalet Gift Certificate- Erin Dunn, Draw the joker to win a gold coin value $444- Hilla drew but sadly was not a winner this week.
SPEAKER: Sarah Duncan is the Mental Health And Wellness Crisis Counselor at Eureka City Schools. She is working with the students to create a safe calm space for students. They have agreed on a floor plan and furniture and are now waiting for funding for the furniture/equipment. Sarah personally saw 749 unique students last year and this year has interns working with her to help with the need. They do a lot of check-ins with students that result in referrals for assistance depending on the need. They currently serve about 15 students a week. They are starting the program at Eureka High School and Junior High Schools but eventually the program will be available at all Eureka City School campuses.