October 18, 2021
The meeting was opened at noon on Zoom by President Klark Swan. Scott Thompson led the pledge of Allegiance. Thought of the day was provided by Darus Trutna.
- The Rotary Foundation dinner – November 7th 7-8:15pm. This is virtual. You provide your own dinner and drinks, they’ll provide the entertainment. Check your email for details.
- Carson Park – If you haven’t taken the survey yet, please do. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/S7HH7YQ?fbclid=IwAR1Wggn5GHcfJ4jjDKB7ytyM0vT5SmgRLMVFWbWyvswXQxoYRLiucYny2v4
- Backpacks for Kids – is going. Please volunteer to pack. Thursdays 3:30-4:30 at @Old Growth Cellars.
- Foundation Challenge – help us become a million dollar club more details coming.
- Social Night last Monday – 15 Rotarians and 8 Rotaractors came out. It was cold but fun and very Covid safe. Thanks to Jera for getting this organized.
- Volunteer Opportunities – Veteran’s Day at McKay. Sponsored by Humboldt IPA. Looking for volunteers to help with parking registration, etc. on November 13. If you are interested email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lyshwerya Rotaractor – Event coming up at Arcata Theatre Friday November 5th. A night of Bollywood Dance and Performances. https://tickets.vemos.io/-LvvzSYm6udEnGfKIRLa/arcata-theatre-lounge/-MlkkCLKopGIZUuT1Ylp/diwaliwood-dance-night
- Done in a Day – With 3 clubs at Carson Park. Date and time TBA. Will be a clean up and BBQ.
- Rotary Southwest- Veteran’s Day event is cancelled for COVID safety reasons.
- Internal vote on chat – Are you ready for in-person meetings?
ROTARY MOMENT: We have gone over 8 months with no new cases. Very inspiring. Since January 1st 1 case in Afghanistan and 62 in Pakistan.
RECOGNITION: Coast Central Credit Union recently won the Ethics in Business award for Rotary District 5130. There were many interviews. Jim Sessa said that CCCU basically won because of their long-standing commitment to their members. He donated $600 to sponsor 2 kids for Backpacks for Kids.
SPEAKER: Past President Carly Robbins talked about Rotoplast. Rotoplast was established to treat children with cleft lip and or palette and burn issues. They provide free reconstructive surgery for kids. About 7 years ago Carly went on a mission to Bangladesh with 3 other Rotoractors. (Carly was a Rotoractor at the time). As a non-medical volunteer she helped with patient transport. The other volunteers helped with sterilizing, medical records, etc. You work every day you are there, all day every day. It’s a lot of work that is very rewarding as it provides such an improved life for these people.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:48pm.