The meeting was opened at noon by President Mindy Sehon. 30 people were in attendance.
Our thought of the day was provided by Jennifer Budwig who read a poem entitled attitude and talked about how YOU have the ability to determine how your day is going to go.
We broke into small groups to discuss our holiday traditions.
Tom Schallert donating $25 to Toys for Tots in the name of Rotary Club of Eureka and challenged all members to do the same. You can mail a check or donate online. A number of people already donated during meeting. Mindy will include as an entry to the New Years Eve Drawing.
Klark Swan talked about new fine envelopes. These will be used for recognitions and enable tracking for the treasurer. Envelopes are self-addressed and include places to fill out what the fine was for, etc. The envelopes will be available on the tables when we meet in person again. You will also be able to pay online.
A presentation was given by Bruce Rupp in founding Rotary Club of Eureka member, James Hutcheson. In 1923 James was one of a group of men who stepped up to begin the Rotary Club of Eureka. He was born in 1876. At the age of 17 began working in the haberdashery business. He came to Eureka and joined in a local clothing business which he later bought 100% interest in. A fire destroyed his store in 1923 and he built a new store. He never served as president but served as a board member for four consecutive terms. At the age of 74 he and his wife moved to the Bay Area where he died at the age of 79. He is today’s newest Paul Harris Fellow.
- Mindy showed us pictures of the contest entrants she’s received so far donating to a non-profit. Take a picture of yourself donating and email it to her to be entered into a New Years Eve drawing. So far she’s received pictures from: Tom Schallert, Arny King, Klark Swan, Scott Thompson, Matthew Owen, Nancy Dean, Becky and Jerry Reece, Debbi Storre, Jesse Klair, Kim Bauriedel, Jessica King, Carly Robbins, Gregg Gardiner.
- Sofia Pereira was recognized for being named as Arcata Mayor.
- Steve Lafferty was recognized because his back, passenger side taillight is out.
- Birthdays – Jay Bahner, Linda Wise, Chuck Ellsworth, Virginia Bass, Hank Ingham, Joan Davies, Jerry Reece celebrated a zoom birthday yesterday and Smoky Robinson provided a personal message courtesy of one of his sons.
- Anniversaries: Susan Seaman, Bruce Smith, Wayne Wilson, Sean McLaughlin, Mindy Sehon. Tom Schallert
PRESENTER– Carly Robbins, Food for People
They just finished their big holiday food drive with all local high schools and Senator McGuire participating. Record breaking year. Raised over $43,000 and more than 10,000 lbs of food.
Food distribution – need is continuing to rise. Drive thru distributions are full. At Thanksgiving they distributed and had long lines at the old Kmart building (now Papa and Barkley’s). Traffic backed up onto 101 as far as 14th Street. They are seeing a 40 to 70% increase in need from previous years. It’s a logistical challenge. The highest increase in need and requests has been for the senior programs. They are delivering to homebound individuals and have partnered with Humboldt Senior Resource Center for deliveries too.
Backpacks for kids is still active. All kids enrolled are still receiving food. Old Growth Cellars is providing their space for the packing. A lot of families are struggling with decreased hours or no employment.
Food for People received over $300,000 in food for COVID needs. They had to spend the money and distribute by the end of December and didn’t receive the money until November. They partnered with local grocery stores to provide gift cards that are being distributed now to their clients. They are helping clients and that $300,000 is also going back into the community.
The Food for People building is being torn down and rebuilt due to the sewage inundation that happened in February. The end result is that they will have more space. They hope to be in new building late 2021. They are fundraising 5 million dollars for the new building and have already raised 3.1 million.
Mindy closed the meeting at 12:45 pm. This is the last meeting for 2020. Our next meeting will be January 4, 2021.