Sep 232014
 
  • Rotary established the “Endowment Fund” in 1917, which became the forerunner of The Rotary Foundation.
  • Rotary first adopted the name “Rotary International” in 1922 when the name was changed from the International Association of Rotary Clubs.
  • Rotary first established the Paul Harris Fellows recognition in 1957 for contributors of US $1,000 to The Rotary Foundation.
  • The Rotary emblem was printed on a commemorative stamp for the first time in 1931 at the time of the Vienna Convention.
  • The first Rotary club banner (from the Houston Space Center) to orbit the moon was carried by astronaut Frank Borman, a member of that club.
  • The first Rotary International convention held outside the United States was in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1921.
  • The first head of state to address a Rotary convention was U.S. President Warren G. Harding in 1923 at St. Louis.
  • The Rotary Foundation gave its first gift in 1929 of US $500 to the National Society for Crippled Children, later Easter Seals, founded in 1921 by Rotarian Edgar F. Allen, of the Rotary Club of Elyria, Ohio, USA. Paul Harris served as chair of the organization.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.